Timeline of My Final Project

When coming up with an idea for my final project, it actually took me awhile to come up with something that I truly wanted to do. I knew I wanted to do something along the lines of animation because I really enjoyed it the first time we did it, but coming up with a storyline for my video was what I was having a hard time with. My friend ended up giving me the idea to do a little superhero scene with a “bad guy” and the “hero.” So, the day before I started actually working on the project, the idea was given to me.

This time around, I decided I’d use flash cards rather than post-it notes. For our previous animation project, I just felt like the post-its didn’t give me much room for an actual scene, which is why my first animation project is relatively simple (until I remember it took me about 7 hours to create a 4 second video).

Here’s a timeline of the steps I took throughout the process of completing my final project. I was pretty good about splitting the work up so that I wouldn’t be doing too much drawing in one day, but when it came down to scanning my drawings into the computer, I kept putting it off, because I knew how tedious and annoying it was the first time around.

Day 1: Planning
I honestly do think I took me about 2 hours of planning when I was trying to come up with this project. I ended up making some very rough sketches in a notebook to kind of get a better idea of where I was going with this. Unfortunately, I was originally way too ambitious with the drawing of the “bad guy” in my story. In the final version, he’s not as detailed and cool looking.

Days 2-5: Drawing
For days 2-5, I spent about an hour drawing roughly 14 flash cards a day. It doesn’t seem like drawing 14 a day would take an hour, but I had the bright idea to trace over the pencil in sharpie so that the lines were more defined and showed up better when scanning them into the computer. I mainly did this because flash cards are thicker than post-it notes, so if the lines were darker, tracing each card using a light board was a little easier. Here’s a picture of me being a little less than halfway done:

Day 6: Scanning
When scanning each individual card into the computer, it took me about 2 hours. Since I was originally going to have about 80 cards, representing 80 different scenes, I anticipated it taking a lot longer to scan than it actually did. About halfway through the project (and after drawing out and tracing over about 30 cards), I realized I was being way too ambitious. Once I realized 80 was probably an over kill, I just decided to double the amount of cards from the previous animation project I did. That means I scanned roughly 60 cards into the computer between about 9:15pm and 11:15pm on December 11th.

Day 7: Editing the Video & Uploading It
When I finally made it to the editing process, I was stoked because this is my favorite part of animation projects, and it’s specifically why I chose this to do as my final. This took up about 2 hours of my time because I’m really picky when it comes to the sound and titles and all that. Since I’ve been so busy with other finals, I ended up having to wake up at 5:30 the day of my final presentation and complete the video, along with this blog post. Luckily, I was able to complete it with plenty of time to spare!

Now that it’s all said and done, I really enjoyed creating this project. It’s so crazy that about 15 hours of work goes into making a short, 10-second video, but I think it was worth it because I like how mine turned out. If I could go back and change a few things, I would probably be a little less ambitious right off the bat. I think that was huge downfall because I had such high hopes for this project, but with time and all my other finals I had to study for and work on, I just didn’t have the time. I think I would have also managed my time better so that I didn’t have to cram the final blog post and editing into the morning of, but like I said, I’m pretty happy with how my project turned out.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *